Ancient Stone Crosses
Metheringham, with its shops, inns and library has more the air of a small market town and indeed in the mid 1800s Saturday markets were held here. Unusually the village centre is distinguished by the presence of two stone crosses. The first of these is the shaft of an ancient village cross, probably C14th in origin, that once stood in the middle of the road but is now built into a recess in the wall near the library. Another cross was erected to replace the ancient one in 1911 to celebrate the coronation of George V but following damage by an American army lorry during the last war the present structure was installed in 1949.Nearby too, you will see a lion-headed water hydrant similar to those seen in many of the cliff edge villages of the Lincoln Heath. These hydrants remain from when piped water was first brought to the area in the 1930s. The Star and Garter is a former coaching and posting inn whilst the nearby White Hart dates from the end of the C17th.
St Wilfred’s Church
Much of Metheringham village was destroyed by fire in 1599 and little more than the Norman tower of St. Wilfred’s church survived. Rebuilding was undertaken quickly however, and inside it is still possible to see blackening from the fire on some of the mediaeval arches and charred roof beams that were re-used. The porch door dates from this rebuilding of 1602 and it retains its original wooden lock bearing the monogram of Queen Elizabeth I. Also worth looking out for inside is the elaborately carved monument to Lucy Skipworth who died in 1763. Like most churches there have been alterations and the nave was restored in 1858 and some of the windows are Victorian.Ancient trees closely surround the churchyard and parts of it may at first sight appear unkempt but it is managed as a nature conservation area. St. Wilfred’s is tucked away down Church Walk (off Church Lane) and is passed as we set off on the next section of the walk towards Blankney.